The Island Church Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting the Island Church, also known as St. Wenceslaus' Church. St. Wenceslaus Church was built in 1863. The little church, significant in Wisconsin's architectural heritage, closed in 1891. The church is a Wisconsin registered landmark, located at the intersection of Island Church and Blue Joint roads, off Hwy 89, south of Waterloo, WI.
Take a break and enjoy the inspiring views at the Island Church! In 2016, we will again be holding our two annual events: a family picnic on July 10 and our St. Wenceslaus Day celebration on Sunday, September 25. The church is open to the public during both events from 11 am - 4 pm.
St. Wenceslaus was King of Bohemia. Most of the settlers of the Island came from Bohemia and Germany. They were farmers. The Island was a large patch of high, fertile ground surrounded by deep, boggy wetlands. Island Church Road was its only reliable access road. The wetlands have since dried out. The church is currently available for small private wedding ceremonies.
There is a cemetery behind the church that offers many links to local ancestry. Also on the grounds is a small museum. The bottom floor of the museum is used by the Island Church Foundation for meetings and community gatherings.
E-mail IslandChurchFoundation@gmail.com for more information.
See our Photo Gallery.