The Youth Board shall be comprised of five members appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Council.
The term of office shall be four years, and appointments shall be staggered such that one member is appointed each year.
The Mayor may appoint up to one member of the Common Council to serve on the Youth Board.
The Mayor may appoint up to one member of the Waterloo School Board to serve on the Youth Board.
The Mayor shall annually designate one member of the Youth Board to serve as the Chairperson of the Board.
[Amended 5-1-2008 by Ord. No. 2008-07]
The Youth Board shall meet as needed, per the determination of the Board members. The Board shall meet no less than once during any consecutive six-month period.
C. Powers and duties.
(1) The Youth Board shall have primary oversight of the budget and operation of the Waterloo Youth Center. The Youth Board shall advise the Common Council on matters related to the operation and funding of the Youth Center.
(2) The Youth Board shall serve an advisory role to the Common Council regarding the City's youth recreational programs. This shall include monitoring existing recreational opportunities, making recommendations regarding modifications or additions to the City's recreational offerings, and coordinating the City's recreational programs with those of the Waterloo School District.
(3) The Youth Board shall serve an advisory role to the Common Council regarding the acquisition of new recreational facilities targeted towards the City's youth population.
(4) The Youth Board shall serve an advisory role to the Common Council regarding issues of importance to the City's youth population, including but not limited to economic development activities as they impact the City's youth population, interactions between the City's youth population and City agencies/boards, and ordinances and regulations as they impact the City's youth population.
(5) The Youth Board may, at its discretion, appoint up to three nonvoting members drawn from the City's youth (under age 18) population, to serve as advisors to the Board. Any such advisors shall serve one-year terms of office, at the pleasure of the Board.